Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I thought I was being brave...apparently not

Last Saturday Amos and I decided to take the kids on a bike ride at the parkway. We just thought the weather was nice and we should spend more time outside with the kids.
As usual Amos decided to rollerblade, instead of riding his bike. I thought, now that I'm pretending to be more athletic, why not rollerblade too.
The problem was that I have not used my rolleblades for about 6 years now. And when I did use it, I cheated by holding on to a jogging stroller, and using its brakes to stop.
Now that the kids ride bikes, instead of a stroller, I really had to do it on my own. It was very scary! If you know me at all, you know that I'm the biggest chicken when it comes to trying new things.
I can go uphill and flat areas, I just get scared on downhills. One would think I could just use my breaks, but I haven't quite mastered that skill yet. So I decided that holding on to the kids' bikes would be a great idea.
Everything was going well, until we hit the 3rd downhill. I was holding on to Cam's bike. He was being so nice and patient. Then he looked at me and said: " Mom, you just need to face your fears!"
My husband and I started laughing. Little does he know that I was facing my fears. Apparently I just need to go for it. Maybe one day I will be able to...for now I will take it one step at a time.

0 comments: